Skip to main content

Listening Is a Choice

     As a mom of two, I've grown very adept over the years in not listening.  Let's face it.  Most of what kids have to say is not nearly as important as what we need to hear.  As much as we want to be attentive to their every comment, we just can't.  Such is the case for adults as well.  We can't spend inordinate amounts of time listening to other people's comments, opinions, questions, and statements.  We have to find ways to decipher what's important on a whim so we can focus on priorities.  One big problem I experienced with not listening is that I tuned out so often that I tended to overlook the important stuff.  I had to re-program myself to tune back in.  The greatest lesson I learned is that listening is a choice.  I can choose which bits of information are pertinent at the time, which I should shelve for later, and which I can discard because it's useless.
     So--when should we choose to listen?  The short answer is always.  In order to determine what's priority, we must first make the choice to listen to what is being shared.  After only a few seconds, you should be able to determine where to "file" the information.  I've become very skilled at knowing immediately whether the communication flowing my way should give me pause.  I ask myself these three questions:
  1. Is this applicable to me?
  2. Is there a deadline or a tight time frame that requires my attention?
  3. Is the speaker credible and his/her comments/questions substantive?
     Hey, I know the last question seems a bit stuffy or arrogant.  But consider it.  People yak all the time.  Many times we get bogged down by their need to push their agenda or their priorities.  We have to ask ourselves if what they're saying has anything to do with us.  If it really matters in the grand scheme of what we have to get done that day.  You have to question whether the speaker is adding quality information in helping you meet your goals or are they hindering you with extra requests that benefit them only.  Not providing too much of your time and attention to these people will help you to stay focused and on target.  It takes skill to not allow yourself to get sidetracked.  You don't want to seem dismissive or uncaring or even rude.  But the fact is, choosing to listen to shallow conversation is the biggest time waster in most of our lives, and choosing to ignore it should be our top priority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharper Development In the News

I was grateful to moderate this important meeting. The city manager has a tough choice to make. Police chief candidates face tough questions at public forum - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

How to Talk About Race: A Panel Discussion

Crude and Rude Are Sooooo Unnecessary

     They call them trolls.  If you've ever read the feedback or input from online readers regarding newsworthy stories, you'll find that somewhere along the way some idiot will say something so tasteless and vile that you wish you were close enough to smack them one good time across the head.  I don't often call people idiots.  I think it's a cruel word, but in this case, there's no other way to describe them.  Well, there is, but I'm too much of a lady to use that kind of language.  However, you can feel free to use your imagination.  They're called trolls for all the reasons the word exists.  The main one is because they troll the comments sections of news stories and make awful remarks in an effort, I believe, to get a rise out of others commenting on the story.  The more controversial the topic, the more you'll find them.  They are crude and hurtful.  They will blame the victim even if that victim is a dead child...