In basically every training class I do on communications, I get people who are reluctant to manage up. In a few cases, the direct, decisive communicators establish early on in the relationship their boundaries and preferences to their boss. Those bosses who can respect other people's limits tend to listen without feeling threatened or disrespected. But generally, workers tend to treat their superiors as demigods and themselves as powerless servants who shouldn't speak up for fear that they'd be punished for having an opinion or for pushing back in areas where they are overwhelmed or uncomfortable. I get asked, "What do I do when my manager piles all of this work on me, and I can't get it done by his unreasonable deadlines?" Among other things like how they manage their time, I usually ask if they've had a discussion with their manager about their workload. The common response: "Oh noooo, I can't do that. He's the b...
Comments
Post a Comment